RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
'97 Vortec 5.7 EGR restrictor plate
Post '97 Vortec 5.7 EGR restrictor plate 
Where can I get one from? Or do I need to fab my own.

I need one that restricts it 100% right at the intake manifold.

Last edited by MWood on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Describe what you are trying to accomplish and we'll provide a solution.
Nobody in their right mind would "sell" such a thing because it's illegal. You're going to end up making that, but the problem is the code it will set...
You have two options for programming:
1. disable EGR so the valve never opens
2. or, disable the error codes so it appears to function but does get efficiency errors when no flow occurs due to block-off plate.

My computer has already had EGR programmed out. I actually bought a EGR block off plate from summit but apparently its for the older SBC even though it says my year engine will work.

Right now I have no error codes, but the port is temp blocked and im trying to find a permanent solution before I look into making my own block-off.

This is in a 2000 S-10 Zr2 with a Vortec 5.7

Here is a limiter, but its not 100% and it costs too much IMO.
http://www.s10planet.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=ff8347e97bded778c92dd8b4b5df9091

I cut the tube and folded the ends like you would your tooth paste. Hammering it flat each time. I done this 6-10 folds.

Wes

Thats what I did too. Except I only folded it over once and I believe it has a leak. Im thinking im going to make a trip to Menards to try and see what I can find. If all else fails, i will see if I can get a big ass short bolt and screw it in.

Why not just rip it out and stick a bolt in the hole in the ex manifold? That's how mine is at present.

Why not just rip it out and stick a bolt in the hole in the ex manifold? That's how mine is at present.

What size bolt and what is the thread count?

EDIT: I actually have headers with no hole drilled for the EGR. Im trying to plug it at the intake manifold.

I just left my intake manifold EGR hole open for years. No issues. I left teh RGR motor in place unplugged so that there was no leak.
I nevber used a n EGR blockoff plate.
peace
Hog

I just left my intake manifold EGR hole open for years. No issues. I left teh RGR motor in place unplugged so that there was no leak.
I nevber used a n EGR blockoff plate.
peace
Hog

That's what I've been thinking since I saw this post...keep it simple Razz

Alright I guess im going to need some enlightening. How could you leave the port open without having a vacuum leak? And wouldnt there be an issue with debris getting in the port?

Im all about learning new things but that doesnt sound right.

The EGR motor has a pintle valve which opens and closes allowing in exhaust gasses when its open. When its closed there is no leak.
There might be some debris that could get in there, but so what? Its not going to go any furthur than the pintle valve. Unless you plan on adding EGR back later debris will do nothing. Any debris that did get in there woudl easily be removed with some brake cleaner and a shot of compressed air.

Again. With engine off, unplg EGR motor's weather pack connector, remove EGR feed tube, plug EGR port on manifold or header, disable EGR function and EGR codes via PCM tuning. If you disable EGR function via PCM tuning, you can leave teh EGR motor plugged in. If you disable the codes and not its function via PCM tuning, the EGR pintle can open thus allowing atmosphere and debris into the intake.

peace
Hog

How hard is it to make something like this:

Not hard at all, and IS necessary if you remove the EGR notor and its associated pintle valve.

peace
Hog

Max, I want to know how much lift those valvel springs can take? You working on some ultra lite valve train stuff?

As for the EGR topic, the Marine intake & ECM re-flash will take care of the EGR issue for you.

Boosted

Actually I just saw that pic when I was checking out someone else's thread over on pt.net:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420932

He's swapping in a sbc into a GMT 800 truck, I'm sure he could answer your question though Wink

I believe they're proform rockers...wouldn't be my first choice.

Max, just curious,what would be your first choice, and would they add HP to my 383?(sorry to be a little off topic)

Crane Golds are really nice made parts, I have a set on both trucks. I have heard of reliability problems on the Pro-Forms.

Boosted

Crane Golds are really nice made parts, I have a set on both trucks. I have heard of reliability problems on the Pro-Forms.

Boosted

x2

crane golds x3......as far as the block off, i used some brass pipe fittings from the local hardware store, and made a plate out of some stainless steel i had lying around from some old rocker paneling....i'll try to get some pics up

That is my motor above, and you do see my made EGR block off. But now I am trying to diagnose why bank 2 is taking away fuel while bank 1 is adding fuel... vacuum leak one would assume.

Do I need to plug the port on the intake manifold for the EGR tube as well as the block off plate? At first I didn't think so

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next