8L80E column shift

Performance modifications, tips & tricks

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

8L80E column shift

Post by Speeder »

The new transmissions are electronic shift now, right? That would mean that there's a wiring harness to the trans instead of levers now, and the shifting assembly on the actual column is just a huge lever with an electronic switch bolted to the column body, correct? I'm starting to dig into what it's going to take to convert my little Dodge to a Gen 5 with an 8 speed. I was thinking of installing a cabin side steering column from a newer Silverado complete, but if it's just a switch in there I might be able to modify my existing column and keep it stock looking.

Incidentally, I compared the specs for an 8 speed to a 10 speed. I decided the 8 speed would be the better way to go, at least for my needs. The 10 speed has a 1-2 drop not unlike the 4L60E, and the 9-10 gear ratios are so close they might as well have not bothered. IMO they should have made the gear spread more equal across the board, which would have made a better performer. The 8 speed gear spreads have more equal separation, although the 1-2 shift is still steeper than I'd have liked.

Transmission: 10-speed 10LXX.......8-speed 8LXX
Gear ratios (:1)
First:................4.70.........................4.56
Second:............2.99.........................2.97
Third:...............2.15.........................2.08
Fourth:.............1.80.........................1.69
Fifth:................1.52.........................1.27
Sixth:...............1.28.........................1.00
Seventh:..........1.00.........................0.85
Eighth:..............0.85.........................0.65
Ninth:...............0.69..........................NA
Tenth:...............0.64.........................NA