Looking to the heavens lately

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Looking to the heavens lately

Post by Hog »

For about the last weel or so I have been able to visibley see with my naked eye 4 plantes at once. At due West very low in teh sky is Mercury, the South Wes can be foun the pair of Venus with a maginitude of -4.1 *the International Space Station has a max mag of -3. where I am near the Great LAkes. The if I peer way over to the East I see the planet of Mars, is actually has a reddish hue to it that I can see.

For specifics for your lats and lllongitudes check out this site, Heavens Above. Just enter you co0ordinates and it spits out all starts, planets, rockets, space stations that can be seen and what time they are viewable.

Its almost been a year since we heard the 3 Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSME's) and 2 Solid Fuel rockets tear a hole in time with a total of over 7 million horsepower. The good news out of the Shuttle being retired too early, is that the 15 remaining SSME's have been shipped to one area to prepare to be installed in the SLS rockets(SPace Launch System, SPace Shuttle was know as STS-Space Transport Sytem). This new heavy lift rocket will use 2 solid fuel (different fuel composition that the 4 segment Space Shuttle Reusable Boosters. The SLS solid boosters will use 5.5 segments holding even more explosive solid prop. On the central core the original SSMe's will be used at 4 per flight, originally to use 3 SSME's per flight. The SSME's will fine a watery grave as they will not be recovered. In its 1st configuration SLS will move 70 mTonnes into space. STS-1 will be trans lunar, it will circle the moon once, then come home a splash down.

SLS-2 will be manned and will be Lunar Orbital, it will launch, drop its 2 5.5 solid roclet boosters, then when its 4 SSME's burn their liquid prop, they will drop away and then STS will fire up its space start engine which will eventually be the brand new J2X engien which has just passed its 500 second WOT test. IIRC this engine runs of Kerosene and liquid oxygen. The SLS's SSME';s will retain its LOX and LIHydrogen as propellant.

The new engine will bring the capsule known as Orion/MCVP(multi purpose crewed vehicle)) into lunar orbit where it will hang about until the rockets burn again and bring the Crew and Dragon home again.

There are 2 crwalers which will be upgraded to handle the huge weight increase with teh 5.5 segemnts solid rocket boosters. One craler is currently being modified with 2 of them scheduled to be modified. The center of gravity which was changed as teh Shuttle had the orbiter strapped onto the extrernal tank thus changing its center of gravity. .
In the Apollo days there were jacks that would be snugged up under the launch pad to prevent damage as the kerosene/liquid Oxygen engines came to life The rocket would try and lift the pad, then release its weight downwards as the exlposive bolts let the mighty Saturn V off the pad. Since Saturn usedoxygen and kerosene, it needed to actually be held to teh pad until teh engines came up to max power, this takes a few seconds. Once at a predetermined power level, tehe xplosve bolts release the SAturn V into teh heavens. These jacks underneath the launch pad surface keep the pad from "slapping" back and damaging itself. These jacks were in different positions for the Space Shuttle, plus teh Shuttle used solids which build their power instantaneoulsy, so quickly in fact that on STS1 it damaged over 200 tiles. SLS will use the standard center of gravity as it is a straight up and down rocket, so these jacks will go back into position as they were for teh Saturn V during the Apollo days.

There are currently 16 SSME's all sitting together awaiting The 2019 flights of SSLS-1 and SLS-2. There is a 16th engine which is in pieces which will be reasssembled for engine #16. Then there will be sufficient engines for SLS1 through SLS-4

Eventually the SLS Orion will evelve into a Super Heavy Lift rocket capable of 140 tonnes into Martion orbit. For SLS-5 the new RD25-E engines which aare pretty much exactly the same as the RD25-D(SSME)but will be substantially cheaper than the RD25-D's $50,000,000 price tag simply because the newer RD-25E will NOT be RE-used.
The Orion/SLS will eventually have 5 RD25-E engines on the core, the 2 5.5 segmant nboosters, but they may be liquid Ox and Hydrogen, there will be an open competition for teh contract to make these new boosters.
Aloicios should be able to go and see some booster testing as thats where they are tested.
After the 5 DR25-E's burn off and the boosters hjave dropped off, 1-3 of the new JTX engines will fire taking the Orion and crew/cargo to MARS or other betong LOE(Low Earth Orbit).

I have never been able to personally hear the SSME's crackle to life and teh Solid rocket boosters tear a hole in teh space time continuim. I will be there at some point to hear what amounts to a good old Space Shuttle sound. The original SLS 1-4 will use the same 8.4 meter core width which is exactly what the Shuttle Tanks used.

I am so dossappointed in that I didnt follow the Space Shuttle Program in the 90's and early 00's. I have a C-Band dish and could easily have tuned into NASATv, but didnt. I am very happy that I got to see STS 133 multiple times and STS 134 (just after undocking from ISS they appeared as 1 start, then as they passed directly overhead at a distance of 324km, the two appeared to chase one another acrosss the sky. I will never forget that momment

A boiler plate of teh Orion capsule will fly onto of a Delt IV heavy lift rocket in late 2013 or early 2014, then SLS1 is slated for 2017. The manned SLS-2 was scheduled for 2021 but has been moved to the left and is now is scheduled for 2019. Charlie Bolden states that these are WORSED CASE scenarios based on current and projected funding levels.

The commercial compance SPACE X, hjas had 2 successfull launched of its Dragon rocket, and has been given authourization to dock with teh International Space Styation in 2012 if its launch is successful. This is a major goal for the commercial sector in order to keep ISS supplied and manned into 2024.

Sorry for all the typos, but I am typing blind on these longer lists.

Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery Atlantis, Endeavour, thankyou for all your service, you and all of the people whoi designed, built, maintained , operated and retired all are part of what makes America-America. This Space Transportation Sytem is truly a n International icon. I cant help but notice how many commercials actually show clips of the Space Shuttle. I'm deeply saddened for its retirem,kent.

I'd better go.

peace
Hog

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

amen brother.

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

Keep the faith. America will rise again!

Aloicious
Location: 96, C1500, LS31, T56, 24x CNP/LS2 coils, Whipple, 411, EFILive, MPFI, ZZ4, Trutrac, 4.88...etc

Post by Aloicious »

I've been bummed recently, I've wanted to go out and look at the stars, maybe do some more photos, but EVERY day that I have off, it's super cloudy and/or raining/snowing...and it's been clear and calm all the nights I have to work...what a drag...

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

gotta pay to play ie, gotta have money to buy the good toys! I know what you mean about the weather though. I don't think we've two or three days where it has actually been truly cold this winter. unreal.....

Aloicious
Location: 96, C1500, LS31, T56, 24x CNP/LS2 coils, Whipple, 411, EFILive, MPFI, ZZ4, Trutrac, 4.88...etc

Post by Aloicious »

oh, I've got the toys, but having a sweet telescope and camera won't help you if it's cloudy

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

my comment didn't type out the way I meant it :) .

Gotta work to pay the bills - always seem to be on the good days!

When it's raining, that's the day off. When its nice out, that's a work day.....

Aloicious

Post by Aloicious »

heh... :lol: totally...

Pro

snap out of it

Post by Pro »

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Aloicious wrote:I've been bummed recently, I've wanted to go out and look at the stars, maybe do some more photos, but EVERY day that I have off, it's super cloudy and/or raining/snowing...and it's been clear and calm all the nights I have to work...what a drag...
That's what sick days and personal days are for... :D

Chevy 97
Location: 97 ECSB K1500 6.3L 4L80E 14 bolt SF Hydro Boost, Headman Ellite Headers, 140 amp alt.

Post by Chevy 97 »

I cannot remember what year or which shuttle it was. My dad was talking to the shuttle with his ham radio set up. He was then sent an autographed picture of that shuttle he talked to on the radio. It was a sad day when you watched the take off and to see the shuttle blow up. It was amazing how fast it orbited the earth. We watched it pass by our home that night. I just whish we had a telescope then. Ham radios com in handy. I never did get one or licensed to talk on one. Dad also helped a sailor in the Altlantic off the coast of Florida. The boat was having problems, Dad phoned the coast guard in Florida gave them the coordinates. We don't know what happened. We lived in Eastern Montana. Not even close to the Atlantic Ocean.

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

I just downloaded an app for my phone that uses the camera to overlay the stars and constellations. Very nice for the kids and I to learn more about what everything is. Really nice for when we are up north sitting around the fire, the sky is so much clearer there.

Chevy 97
Location: 97 ECSB K1500 6.3L 4L80E 14 bolt SF Hydro Boost, Headman Ellite Headers, 140 amp alt.

Post by Chevy 97 »

The sky is very beautiful where I live, especially the Northern lights. You really do see a light show. Sometime I want to go to Dawson City in the Yukon. Summer would be fun to see the sun go around yet never go away. The winter is really good for the northern lights. I worked with a lady that lived there for a while. It is beautiful up there. At the family reunion, we sit around the campfire looking at the stars and watching the satilites going by. I live 1 1/2 hours southeast of Edmonton Alberta.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

What's the name of the app. I was looking for one that I'd heard about. Can't find it. It's supposed to use the GPS function to determine your location, and then you hold the phone up, camera, and the names of the stars and constellations will appear in the direction your pointing.

BTW, I did get the free "Hubble Gallery". That's a nice app. And I put on "Galaxy" live wallpaper, that's cool too.

s10mods

Post by s10mods »

Makoi wrote:What's the name of the app. I was looking for one that I'd heard about. Can't find it. It's supposed to use the GPS function to determine your location, and then you hold the phone up, camera, and the names of the stars and constellations will appear in the direction your pointing.

BTW, I did get the free "Hubble Gallery". That's a nice app. And I put on "Galaxy" live wallpaper, that's cool too.
I use Google Sky its pretty cool, it may be the same app.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

It's SkyMap for Android. Excellent! Thanks.

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

I don't think SkyMap uses the camera...

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

I only just got it uploaded, and haven't tried it with the camera on. But, if turn the app on and move the phone up and around at the sky, all the constellations and planets show up in the proper place. Day or night. Like this afternoon it showed that Uranus was covering a portion fo the Sun. I will fool around with it a little more tonight. But, it seems to be what I was looking for.

z71gmc06

Post by z71gmc06 »

It's called skyview free. I just have the free version, but I went through
About four of them before finding this one. Some of them were really cheesy
And just displayed a picture