Internet access in remote region

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Internet access in remote region

Post by CrazyHoe »

Hi guys, since there's a few communication experts here I figured I'd ask.

Is there a company that makes a light weight + portable internet satellite communication device. Kind of like what you see in the movies.

Thanks.

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

Several. Where are you going.....

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Sorry, been out of that side of things for a long long time.

97k15004wd

Post by 97k15004wd »

easy way is to use HughesNet. Have the sat modem and take your dish, or make your own foldable.

CrazyHoe
Location: Mtl; '98 2dr4x4 Tahoe, L31,Hookers Long T, 0411,EFIlive, 4L80-E,dual 3",marine int+inj

Post by CrazyHoe »

A friend of mine is leaving on the 28th to climb Everest. She wants internet access. They now have cell coverage base to peak but it's spotty. She has a sat phone but I don't know which model. Need something light, easy to use and reliable.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

If they have cell service (but not reliable), that makes it easier as lots of cell phones can connect to the internet. It may be easiest and cheapest to buy a pre-paid phone over there from the best service provider (one compatible with). Here in Michigan, when I go up to my camp, or to the cottage where there is no internet, I've been using a Verizon issued MiFi 2200. It works pretty reliably if it can find a signal. I've found that some locations in the cabin or cottage work better than others. Mt. Everest is probably a whole different story for coverage however. I'd imagine that a true satellite phone would be quite expensive.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

I got thinking about boosting signal. Here's a link of interest;

http://www.rocksignal.com/

... and I read something that says the 3G network in Europe (assume Asia too) is different than the 3G network in the U.S. So, a cell phone would need to be optimized the right way for some sort of GSM Mt. Everest connection I think.

The Motorola Z8 looked to have global use, but there's probably dozens of phones and tablets that would do this nowadays. My own LG phone is like 8 years old now. All this is making me want a new phone!!!

Hmmm??

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/197359/ ... t-at-t.htm

Speeder
Location: 2021 Dodge Durango R/T 2WD, 2008 Colorado work beater, 2003 Dodge Dakota pro-touring project

Post by Speeder »

Here ya go. The gear is 3000-5000 bucks, service is throgh the nose too.

http://www.groundcontrol.com/BGAN.htm
http://www.groundcontrol.com/BGAN_rate_plans.htm

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Cool, will any of those units include laser targeting and the ability to order in some weaponry? :evil: :evil:

PSWired

Post by PSWired »

Aircard with external high gain antenna is probably her best bet for lightweight, if there is spotty cell coverage. Get an antenna that works for the band(s) the carrier with coverage operates in.

Satellite phone (Iridium) will provide minimal data throughput. Maybe enough for downloading text-only email, but browsing or anything else will be pretty much impossible.

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

PSWired wrote:Aircard with external high gain antenna is probably her best bet for lightweight, if there is spotty cell coverage. Get an antenna that works for the band(s) the carrier with coverage operates in.

Satellite phone (Iridium) will provide minimal data throughput. Maybe enough for downloading text-only email, but browsing or anything else will be pretty much impossible.
Was hopping you'd chime in Patrick. Thanks for the help guys. Been real busy. Looks like i-phone 4 won't work over there. Still looking for final solution until this w-e.

What about repeaters?

http://www.cellantenna.com/index.php?id=caduorx

Rob_B

Post by Rob_B »

The best suggestion I can give with my fairly extensive travel is to get a phone locally and buy airtime for it there. 90%+ of the time its MUCH cheaper and more realiable than bringing a phone from NA with you. Another option is to rent one there. I did that recently in Japan for a week and although I didn't use it much, it cost me $16 total. I also did the same in Kenya. Using my NA blackberry would have been $4.10 p/m to call Canada. A local phone cost $0.23 p/m to call Canada. Even if you bought one there (or rented) and bought $100 of airtime, it will be much less than one from home.

Makoi

Post by Makoi »

Yes, intoned that above and agree. Just buy local and throw away when finished. Cheaper.

PSWired

Post by PSWired »

Unless they've got power, a repeater will add a lot of weight and bulk. I'd go with an external antenna for the phone. A directional antenna like a yagi (looks like old style TV antenna) or a panel will be better than an omnidirectional antenna (the vertical wire kind that mag-mounts to car roofs).

Once again, check the bands used by whatever carrier you're planning to use out there. US band external antennas won't do much good.

CrazyHoe

Post by CrazyHoe »

PSWired wrote:Unless they've got power, a repeater will add a lot of weight and bulk. I'd go with an external antenna for the phone. A directional antenna like a yagi (looks like old style TV antenna) or a panel will be better than an omnidirectional antenna (the vertical wire kind that mag-mounts to car roofs).

Once again, check the bands used by whatever carrier you're planning to use out there. US band external antennas won't do much good.
900 + 1800
http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Was planing: i-phone4 + Samsung galaxy s. Both unlocked. Buy sim cards there + scratch cards for air time refill.

Now going with i-phone3 instead of i4.

Looks like the netbook will be droped. Too much to deal with... + the weight...

Does this really work?

http://cellantenna.com/index.php?id=mobileinfo#iphone

Power comes from solar panel. (12v cig lighter plug)

PSWired

Post by PSWired »

I don't think iphones have external antenna connectors. A repeater would work but is more hassle and less reliable. You need isolation between the two antennas for it to be effective.

Maybe look into a portable hotspot device like a MiFi. They almost all have external antenna connectors for the cellular side. Then get a cheap GSM phone with a connector too for voice.