Space Shuttle makes it home safe

Anything off-topic

Moderators: flyingpolarbear, Dev, James B.

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Space Shuttle makes it home safe

Post by Hog »

Glad to see it made it home, I watched it yesterday on NASA TV(I intercept the feedon my 10ft C-band from the US, I'm not stealing as that feed is not encrypted). I'm happy all are safe.

They were forced to land in California as there was bad weather in Florida. Discoverylanded at approx. 8:10 AM EST, it was still dark in Cali. when it landed, the satellite broadcast used thermal cameras to catch the action. White showed as the hot surfaces on the shuttle, the nosee and leading edges of the delta wings were white, very hot. that was the 1st shuttle activity I have seen occur in the dark, pleasant surprise.

Looks like future flights have been scrubbed as another 1.3 lb of foam fell from the external fuel tank tank. They must get the next shuttle up by October they are done for the season until Feb.

NASA TV is found on Satcom C1 transponder 17, 18 or 19 I forget, awesome channel, there is a lot of feeds from the Space Station with the American Astronaut and that Russian Cosmonaut an board. Even though they excersise, their muscles MUST atrophy(decrease in mass) somewhat. This IS the limiting factor for distant travel, people bodies can atrophy so much that when they return, muscles can tear, bones will fracture, simply from gravity pulling down on the body and its systems, this would be an extreme case, happening after MANY years of near zero gravity.

I was happy that my country's contribution of the Canadarm 2 was successful, I read that they installed a camera on the arm and made a survey of a majority of the surface of the shuttle. the Canadarm cant raech the whole surface of the orbiter so whist near the Space Station, the orbiter did a few rolling maneuvers to expose the underbelly of the craft to the cameras of the Space Station. This was in addition the the extra 110 camera which were fitted to Discovery's body.

here is a link with some pictures of the landing and of the woman Discovery Commander Astronaut Eileen Williams. Good for her and both of our countries, I'm glad they made it home safe. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20050 ... 01351.html

I remember the Challenger of 1986 and Columbia of 2003 disasters, they were simply horrific. These incidents illustrate how large of a price WE as North Americans, are willing to pay to explore the unknown universe. Money is money, but the fallen Astronauts and their families have paid the ultimate price with their lives, not only for us, but in hopes of providing information that could help our Grandchildren's Children, live healthy, safe and fulfilling lives.
Those Astronauts (Canadian&American) died while performing a mission that they had dreamed of, and had trained for, most of their lives.
I myself, having a military background(Infantry), understand that there are some things in this world, that are worth giving up your life for, so the lives of others can be better. I didnt even try to explain that to my Mother, she wouldnt hear it.

Glad that they made it home alive.

Paul "Hog" S.

Hog
Location: 1997 Chev ECSB L31 350 1997 GMC Sierra SLE RCSB, Ontario

Re: Space Shuttle makes it home safe

Post by Hog »

Hog wrote:Glad to see it made it home, I watched it yesterday on NASA TV(I intercept the feedon my 10ft C-band from the US, I'm not stealing as that feed is not encrypted). I'm happy all are safe.

They were forced to land in California as there was bad weather in Florida. Discoverylanded at approx. 8:10 AM EST, it was still dark in Cali. when it landed, the satellite broadcast used thermal cameras to catch the action. White showed as the hot surfaces on the shuttle, the nosee and leading edges of the delta wings were white, very hot. that was the 1st shuttle activity I have seen occur in the dark, pleasant surprise.

Looks like future flights have been scrubbed as another 1.3 lb of foam fell from the external fuel tank tank. They must get the next shuttle up by October they are done for the season until Feb.

NASA TV is found on Satcom C1 transponder 17, 18 or 19 I forget, awesome channel, there is a lot of feeds from the Space Station with the American Astronaut and that Russian Cosmonaut an board. Even though they excersise, their muscles MUST atrophy(decrease in mass) somewhat. This IS the limiting factor for distant travel, people bodies can atrophy so much that when they return, muscles can tear, bones will fracture, simply from gravity pulling down on the body and its systems, this would be an extreme case, happening after MANY years of near zero gravity.

I was happy that my country's contribution of the Canadarm 2 was successful, I read that they installed a camera on the arm and made a survey of a majority of the surface of the shuttle. the Canadarm cant raech the whole surface of the orbiter so whist near the Space Station, the orbiter did a few rolling maneuvers to expose the underbelly of the craft to the cameras of the Space Station. This was in addition the the extra 110 camera which were fitted to Discovery's body.

here is a link with some pictures of the landing and of the woman Discovery Commander Astronaut Eileen Williams. Good for her and both of our countries, I'm glad they made it home safe. http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20050 ... 01351.html

I remember the Challenger of 1986 and Columbia of 2003 disasters, they were simply horrific. These incidents illustrate how large of a price WE as North Americans, are willing to pay to explore the unknown universe. Money is money, but the fallen Astronauts and their families have paid the ultimate price with their lives, not only for us, but in hopes of providing information that could help our Grandchildren's Children, live healthy, safe and fulfilling lives.
Those Astronauts (Canadian&American) died while performing a mission that they had dreamed of, and had trained for, most of their lives.
I myself, having a military background(Infantry), understand that there are some things in this world, that are worth giving up your life for, so the lives of others can be better. I didnt even try to explain that to my Mother, she wouldnt hear it.

Glad that they made it home safely.

Paul "Hog" S.